Trostre Museum Visit 03 April 2013 - Click an Image for Slide Show
On 3 April 2013, members of Llanelli Community Heritage visited the Trostre Works Museum, Llanelli . It was a cold but bright sunny morning when we all arrived at the venue where we were warmly greeted by the Curator Mr Keith Morgan who provided us with a welcome cup of tea and biscuits.
Keith informed us that the museum had previously been the ruined farmhouse of Maes-ar-Dafen Fach Farm which had been restored at the same time as the construction of the main Trostre Works in 1947, to provide a reception centre for visitors instead of building a modern purpose-designed office. The responsibility for the project had fallen on Mr Walter Hodges head of the then Tinplate Division's Estates Department.
After extensive research and visiting the Welsh Folk Museum at St Fagans, Mr Hodges converted the farmhouse and its outbuildings into an eighteenth century Welsh Cottage. On completion, the building was furnished with antique paintings, china and furniture that would be in-keeping with a cottage of that period. A small museum was added to accommodate a collection of old records, equipment and artefacts associated with the tinplate industry which was the idea of Mr Gazard, Assistant General Manager of The Steel Company of Wales Ltd. who was also an avid collector of antiques. Most of the work was completed by 1957
After completing an introductory history, Keith took us on a tour of the museum where many artefacts associated with the industry were to be seen including the machinery, tools and the products produced by the industry over the years. We finished the tour, by having a group photograph, taken by Keith for the Trostre Works Magazine. Our Chairman, John Wynne Hopkins,thanked Keith and the management of TATA Trostre Works for arranging the visit.