Table of Llanelli Blue Plaques Data (not in chronological order)

No.
Title
Location
Description
Lat/Lon

01

Top

Llanelly Pottery

 

Eastern entrance to Ty Elli shopping centre.

The plaque commemorates Llanelly Pottery, which operated in the centre of the town from 1839 to 1922. William Chambers Junior, opened the pottery in 1839: he lived in Llanelly House, was involved in most aspects of the town's business and social life and, as an active magistrate, became involved in the Rebecca Riots.

51.681767

-4.158547

02

Top

Furnace Tollgate

 

Old Road side of Furnace Post Office wall.

In 1843 the whole of West Wales was affected by civil disturbances known as The Rebecca Riots.  Instigated by the unfair cost that the tollgates placed on society as a whole, the populace rose up under the cloak of anonymity.  Disguised as women with blackened faces and armed with guns, axes and saws the rioters would be led by Rebecca.  They would ride out at night and destroy the toll gates as a protest.  Between the night of 2nd, and the morning the 3rd August, 1843, after demolishing the Sandy Tollgate, Rebecca made for the furnace Tollgate intent on its destruction.  The gatekeeper must have tried to prevent Rebecca because he received a beating and the blast of a gun in the face.  The Furnace Gate was destroyed.  An eyewitness account states the old toll house and its thatched roof was burnt into cinders, its walls in fragments, the gate in pieces and the massive pillars on which they hung were pulled from their roots and thrown headlong into the river where stands The Stradey Arms, in fact the old place was a heap of ruins after Becca.  Furnace Post Office now stands in its very place.

51.690174

-4.166796

03

Top

Bres Colliery

 

Eastern wall of Bres Public House.

Bres Colliery was located in Bres Road, Llanelli and was the earliest deep pit at Llanelli. The pit was opened by the local company of Roderick, Bowen and Griffiths in 1794 and was taken over by the Pemberton Family, from the north of England, in 1804 and sunk to the Bushy seam at 177m (580 feet) depth.  It was later worked by George Bruin of London and finally by the Llanelly Copperworks Company who incorporated it into their Old Castle Colliery complex with workings in the Rosy, Fiery, Golden and Bushy seams extending almost 3.2 km (2 miles) from the Stradey Fault in the West to the Box Fault in the East.  This complex operated under the name "Old Castle and Bres Collieries" until final abandonment in May 1889

51.68082537

-4.16012140

04

Top

Ty Newydd (Adulam)

 

Adulam Chapel boundary wall.

According to tradition, a small community of Baptists were said to have met and worshipped in the district of Llanelli before 1653. John Myles, a minister of Ilston (Gower) is listed as a Lecturer there in 1656. Lower Mill is reputed to be one of their meeting places. Following the restoration of the crown in 1660, Baptists were forced to worship in secret, hiding in houses and caves, as there was persecution of Nonconformist sects throughout the land. One such meeting place was in a cave not far from Felinfoel at a place called Goitrewen.In 1689, an Act of Religious Tolerance was passed allowing nonconformists to worship openly. The first Baptist chapel in the district was that built at Felinfoel in 1709. It was then known as Ty Newydd meetinghouse, the name that it bore until 1840 when the chapel was rebuilt.  It then took the name of Adulam. The old Felinfoel millpond would have been a suitable venue for the chapel’s baptismal ceremonies. Today, a purpose-built baptismal pool can still be seen in the village, adjacent to the Lliedi Bridge.

51.699106

-4.146949

05

Top

Carmarthenshire Railway

 

Felinfoel, Sustrans underpass.

The Carmarthenshire Railway began operating as a horse-drawn railway, linking Alexander Raby's iron furnace in the village of Cwmddyche (later Furnace) to his shipping place on the coast. It was later incorporated into the Carmarthenshire Railway when an Act of Parliament was passed in June, 1802, allowing its construction. The railway linked Raby's furnace and various collieries to important mineral sources in the Great Mountain area, Cross Hands. Interestingly, an 1801 plan of the railway shows it passing very close to the Meeting House, Newydd (Adulam Chapel). The railway, the earliest operating public railway in Great Britain, consisted of horse-drawn wagons running on cast iron tram-plates. The Railroad was later replaced by the Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Railway, which ceased operating on the closure of the Cynheidre Colliery. Its route is now marked by a cycle-way.

51.69791309

-4.14925674

06

Top

Felinfoel Mill

 

Plinth on the green opposite Felinfoel Church.

Felinfoel Mill. In 1831, the village is described in a parliamentary report concerning Llanelli.  It states There is a group of Houses at the Northern end of the Borough called Felinfoel; but it is completely removed from the Town and contains but three  Houses and one in the course of building, this will be a Farm-house; one of the three is a Mill, held on a Crown lease; another is a gentleman's House; the remaining one is a Public house. According to some historians there is evidence that a medieval corn mill may have existed in the village by about 1399. A plan drawing dated 1815 shows a mill and its mill pond in Felinfoel.

51.69993525

-4.14432112

07

Top

Felinfoel Brewery

 

Boundary wall of Felinfoel Brewery

Felinfoel Brewery is said to have commenced operating as a small cottage-brewing industry in the King's Head Inn, Felinfoel, run by David John. A large brewery spanning the River Lliedi had been erected by 1878, becoming the present limited company in 1906. The most important landmark in its history is that following experiments carried out in the canning of beer in December 1935, it became the first brewery in Great Britain to commercially can beer in March 1936. Felinfoel continues to produce fine ales!

51.69757434

-4.1465584

08

Top

Felinfoel Baptismal Pool

 

Boundary wall

Felinfoel Baptismal Pool. According to tradition, a small community of Baptists were said to have met and worshipped in the district of Llanelli before 1653. John Myles, a minister of Ilston (Gower) is listed as a Lecturer there in 1656. Lower Mill is reputed to be one of their meeting places. Following the restoration of the crown in 1660, Baptists were forced to worship in secret, hiding in houses and caves, as there was persecution of Nonconformist sects throughout the land. One such meeting place was in a cave not far from Felinfoel at a place called Goitrewen. In 1689, an Act of Religious Tolerance was passed allowing nonconformists to worship openly. The first Baptist chapel in the district was that built at Felinfoel in 1709. It was then known as Ty Newydd meetinghouse, the name that it bore until 1840 when the chapel was rebuilt. It then took the name of Adulam. The old Felinfoel millpond would have been a suitable venue for the chapel's baptismal ceremonies. Today, a purpose-built baptismal pool can still be seen in the village, adjacent to the Lliedi Bridge.

51.69880421

-4.14519383

09

Top

John Wesley

 

South facing wall of the Veranda, Upper Church Street

John Wesley was a famous 18th-century Anglican clergyman and Christian theologian who was an early leader in the Methodist movement. This was the first widely successful evangelical movement in the United Kingdom. Wesley is said to have visited or passed through Llanelli on twelve occasions, preaching in the vicinity of the Parish Churchyard on most of his visits.

51.68361419

-4.16193714

10

Top

Penycastell

 

Metropolitan Bar boundary wall, John Street 

Pen-y-Castell. Old maps and plans of the town of Llanelli show an ancient fortification on the site that is now bounded by the buildings that are known today as The Metropolitan, Castle Field, Le Caprice (Castle Buildings) and Pencastell. Past historians have referred to this site as being Roman or Norman in origin. Early Ordnance Survey maps name the site as Ancient Camp or Pen-y-Castell.

51.680421

-4.163083

11

Top

James Dickson Innes

 

Charles Accountants garden wall, Murray Street

James Dickson Innes was born in 1887 at Greenfield Villas, Murray Street, the son of the historian John Innes. Following his early education at Christ College, Brecon he attended the Carmarthen Art School in 1904 and later trained at the Slade School in London. Sadly his life was cut short by tuberculosis and he died in 1914. It was landscape that inspired him and he particularly loved the mountains of Wales. He paid many visits with his great friend Augustus John to north Wales to paint the landscape. He also travelled and painted in France and Spain. James Dickson Innes’ most original landscapes were painted in rich colours and express his feelings about the view before him. The paintings of James Dickson Innes are admired all over the world.

51.68000213

-4.16274874

12

Top

Lloyd Street Chapel

 

Probation Services Building, Lloyd Street

Lloyd Street Chapel was built in the gothic style in 1887. It was sited opposite the old Catholic Church of St Mary’s that once stood there. In 1905 when the spiritual fires of the Revival burned bright in Llanelli, Lloyd Street Chapel played a prominent part and many meetings were held there.

51.67994775

-4.16423611

13

Top

Royalty Theatre

 

 North facing wall of Tinnopolis Studio, Water Street

Royalty Theatre. The town of Llanelli once boasted a Victorian music hall and theatre that was demolished in 1977. Appropriately called The Royalty Theatre, its construction was completed by Boxing Night December 1892, ready for the opening performance of Alfred Cox's comedy drama A Detective which was performed by C.H. Ross's Comedy Company.

51.68346407

-4.15983230

14

Top

Haggar

 

South facing wall of Tinnopolis Studio, Park Street

Arthur William Haggar 1851-1925. Pioneer of the cinema and film maker. Proprietor of the Royalty Theatre Llanelli. Looking Around Llanelli - Harry Davies page 243

51.68299085

-4.15915877

15

Top

Charlie Chaplin

 

South facing wall of Tinnopolis Studio, Park Street

Two informative Plaques sponsored by Tinopolis record the Royalty's connection with Charlie Chaplin and one of its former proprietors, Arthur William Haggar,  a pioneer of early film making are located at the TV studio's entrance in Park Street.

51.68295198

-4.15931606

16

Top

Marshfield Works

 

Station Road, Plinth

Marshfield Works opened in Station Road in 1863 to produce sheet iron for sale to tinplate works in south Wales and to works in Birmingham. The names Marshfield and Lakefield are reminders of how wet this low-lying pasture land once was.

51.67601350

-4.16154616

17

Top

Highfield House

 

Tyisha Road

Highfield Hous. In the early days of motoring, the invention of a spare wheel system was a significant contribution to the practicality and success of this novel form of transport. Thomas Morris Davies and Walter Davies opened an ironmongery shop in Stepney Street in 1895, followed by a cycle shop in Stepney Street  Arcade and a small cycle and motor repair works at the rear of the Stepney Hotel. In 1904 the brothers patented the first practical motor vehicle spare wheel. It was a smokeless wheel rim, mounted on which was a tyre of slightly larger than usual diameter. This rim and tyre could be attached to a wheel with a punctured tyre by adjustable clamps. Although it was only a "get you home" accessory, and not suitable for extended use, it was widely adopted.

51.67477819

-4.15438547

18

Top

Old Lodge Works

 

Station Road

Old Lodge. In the first half of the nineteenth century Llanelli was a coal mining and copper smelting town. Dafen and orfa Tinplate Works opened in 1848 and 1852 respectively, the first hint of where the future of the town lay. The next two works to open were quite different - they were wrought iron works, an industry that had died out in the town at the beginning of the century. The Nevill family, owners of Llanelly Copperworks and most of the local collieries established both these works at the grounds of Glanmor or Field House, which was situated between what is now Nevill Street and Paddock Street. It is hard to believe that the land each side of Station Road was once lawns and orchards!

51.67604025

-4.16107010

19

Top

Railway Riots

 

 Union Bridge, Victoria Road

Railway Strike. The Llanelli Riots took place on 19th August, 1911. Their immediate cause was the very first Railway Strike which lasted only two days. The strike started on Thursday Evening, and by Saturday evening two young men had been shot dead by the military. One man was killed when a railway truck exploded and, on the following day, three more people died from their injuries. The story of the Riots is set in a period of great industrial unrest, and involves prominent figures on the international scene such as Lloyd George, Winston Churchill, King George V, and Kaiser Wilhelm of Germany.

51.67649595

-4.16903288

20

Top

Rachel Roberts

 

 Tyisha Road

Rachel Roberts 1927 - 1980 was born at the Manse of Emanuel Chapel in Tyisha Road in 1927. She was the daughter of Richard Rees Roberts who was the Baptist Minister of the little chapel that still stands today at the bottom end of New Dock Road, Llanelli. After studying at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art, Rachel starred on the screen and stage in a number of famous productions in London and Broadway. During her successful career she held leading roles in films which include This Sporting Life, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, Picnic at Hanging Rock and Yanks. Her international stage performances list Alpha Beta, The Visit, Chemin de Fer ,Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf? and many other plays. Richard Harris, Albert Finney, and Rex Harrison are among some of the famous names that have starred alongside her during her acting career. Following her marriage and subsequent divorce to Alan Dobie she married the famous Hollywood actor and film star, Rex Harrison in March 1962. This marriage was to last nine years. Sadly, Rachel Roberts ended her colourful life in November 1980 at the age of 53. A full biography of her life can be found in the book No Bells on Sunday - The Journals of Rachel Roberts with a documentary biography by Alexander Walker. Pavilion Books Ltd. 1984

51.67496529

-4.15448114

21

Top

The Plough & Harrow

 

 Five Roads

The Plough & Harrow Blue Plaque was installed on Ty Newydd the house that was formally the Plough & Harrow, commemorating its connection with the Rebecca Riots of 1843. It was here that the Rebecca Rioters would meet and plan their operations and where Dai Cantwr was captured.

51.72002682

-4.20398222

22

Top

Farmers Arms

 

 Five Roads

The Farmers Arms blue plaque was installed on this cottage called the Farmers Arms which was formally the Farmers Arms Inn, commemorating its connection with the Rebecca Riots of 1843. It was one of the Inns in Five Roads where the Rebecca Rioters would meet and plan their operations.

51.731183511

-4.18876842

23

Top

Mynydd Sylen Rebecca Meeting

 

Mynydd Sylen

The Great Meeting on Mynydd Sylen. By the end of the summer of 1843, The Rebecca Riots, which had ravaged West Wales, was drawing to an end. The violent and clandestine attacks on the tollgates were being replaced by peaceful and open air meetings calling for political action.

51.75748561

-4.15258953

24

Top

Carmarthenshire Railway Cynheidre

 

Cynheidre

Carmarthenshire Railway Cynheidre. The Carmarthenshire Railway began operating as a horse-drawn railway, linking Alexander Raby’s iron furnace in the village of Cwmddyche, later Furnace, to his shipping place on the coast. It was later incorporated into the Carmarthenshire Railway when an Act of Parliament was passed in June, 1802, allowing its construction. The railway linked Raby's furnace and various collieries to important mineral sources in the Great Mountain area, Cross Hands. Interestingly, an 1801 plan of the railway shows it passing very close to the Meeting House, Ty Newydd - Adulam Chapel. The railway, the earliest operating public railway in Great Britain, consisted of horse-drawn wagons running on cast iron tram-plates. The Railroad was later replaced by the Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Railway, which ceased operating on the closure of the Cynheidre Colliery. Its route is now marked by a cycle-way.

51.74317120

-4.18270605

25

Top

Carmarthenshire Railway Horeb

 

Horeb Bridge

Carmarthenshire Railway Horeb. The Carmarthenshire Railway began operating as a horse-drawn railway, linking Alexander Raby's iron furnace in the village of Cwmddyche , later Furnace, to his shipping place on the coast. It was later incorporated into the Carmarthenshire Railway when an Act of Parliament was passed in June, 1802, allowing its construction. The railway linked Raby’s furnace and various collieries to important mineral sources in the Great Mountain area, Cross Hands. Interestingly, an 1801 plan of the railway shows it passing very close to the Meeting House, Ty Newydd (Adulam Chapel). The railway, the earliest operating public railway in Great Britain, consisted of horse-drawn wagons running on cast iron tram-plates. The Railroad was later replaced by the Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Railway, which ceased operating on the closure of the Cynheidre Colliery. Its route is now marked by a cycle-way.

51.72966166

-4.17556727

26

Top

Stag & Pheasant

 

Five Roads

Stag & Pheasant. Approximately four miles outside the town of Llanelli sits the rural and sleepy village of Five Roads. But its peaceful and tranquil appearance of today belies a very active and turbulent past. Not only did it stand between Cynheidre Colliery, The Eclipse Brickworks, Horeb Mills and the Llanelly & Mynydd Mawr Railway, but further back in time the village became the focal point of some of the most exciting events in Welsh agricultural history - The Rebecca Riots.

51.72663750

-4.18829538

27

Top

Stepney Spare Wheel

 

Copperworks Road

Stepney Spare Wheel. In the early days of motoring, the invention of a spare wheel system was a significant contribution to the practicality and success of this novel form of transport. Thomas Morris Davies and Walter Davies opened an ironmongery shop in Stepney Street in 1895, followed by a cycle shop in Stepney Street Arcade and a small cycle and motor repair works at the rear of the Stepney Hotel. In 1904 the brothers patented the first practical motor vehicle spare wheel. It was a spokeless wheel rim, mounted on which was a tyre of slightly larger than usual diameter. This rim and tyre could be attached to a wheel with a punctured tyre by adjustable clamps. Although it was only a, get you home, accessory, and not suitable for extended use, it was widely adopted.

51.67298671

-4.16085241

28

Top

Glanmor Foundry

 

Glanmor Road

Glanmor Foundry. The building on which this plaque is attached was originally the laboratory of the Glanmor Foundry and is the only extent part of the original works. The Glanmor Foundry was situated directly behind this building.

51.67392492

-4.16337762

29

Top

Copperworks Dock

 

Millennium Coastal Cycle Path

The Copperworks (or Nevill's) Dock. Initially constructed as a tidal dock by the Llanelly Copperworks Company in 1805 for the import of copper ore and the export of smelted copper and coal. It was provided with lock gates by 1824 making it, reputedly, the first floating dock in Wales. It remained in constant use until 1951

51.66763619

-4.16645478

30

Top

Llanelly Copper Works

 

Copperworks Road

Llanelly Copper Works. Llanelly Copper Works Company, formed by Cornish and London merchants and Birmingham copper manufacturers, built these works in 1805 to smelt ore from Cornwall using local coal. The managers were Charles Nevill (1753-1813), his son Richard Janion Nevill (1785-1856), and his grandson Charles William Nevill (1815-1888). The company owned most of major collieries in Llanelli and its own railway system, developed a lead and silver smelting works and built the first floating dock in Wales. The works became the third largest copper smelting concern in the world by the 1850s, smelting ores from Australia, Chile and Cuba. Foreign competition resulted in the works converting from smelting to copper wire manufacture in 1923.

51.67280259

-4.16132817

31

Top

Welsh Tinplate & Metal Stamping Co Ltd

 

Cambrian Street

Welsh Tinplate & Metal Stamping Co Ltd 1898-1978. The old Cambrian Copper Works / Llanelly Lead Works were bought in 1898 by the Welsh Tinplate & Metal Stamping Co Ltd. This company had started business at Wern Works in Ann Street in 1892 and was so successful that it moved to the much larger Cambrian Works. It employed around a thousand people, mainly women, producing enamelled saucepans, plates and owls, army tinplate mess-tins and galvanized buckets. The fame of its products resulted in Llanelli being nick-named, Sospan, and Llanelli Rugby Club adopting a saucepan as its emblem. It closed in 1978 due to cheap imports and changing tastes.

51.673599

-4.16885829

32

Top

Amelia Earhart

 

Pwll, Millennium Coastal Cycle Path

Amelia Earhart. On midday 18th June 1928, a Fokker FVII, tri-motor seaplane flew virtually unnoticed over Llanelli. After circling the New Dock area of the town it finally landed on a channel of water in the Burry Estuary opposite the Crown Colliery, which was situated below the village of Pwll and secured to the No. 10 Buoy. It was reported that the aircraft Friendship, had travelled from Trepassey, Newfoundland, a distance of over 2 thousand miles. The flight had taken approximately 20 hours and 40 minutes through heavy rain and fog to finally make the mainland of Great Britain.

51.68520825

-4.20796897

33

Top

Tregoning Library

 

Cornish Place

Tregoning Library was the building of the Morfa works in 1851 which started the development of the tinplate trade in Llanelli town. The Dafen tinworks had been built in 1846 although it did not start production until 1848. The owner of the Morfa works was John Simmons Tregoning, a Cornishman who was a partner in the Liverpool firm of Clint, Tregoning and Company, metal merchants and ship-brokers. Soon after the partnership broke up, Tregoning built the Morfa works consisting of an ironworks, two rolling mills and a tin house. Tregoning, though, stayed in Liverpool where his son, John Simmons Tregoning II was born in 1842 and later joined his father's firm. He came to Llanelli in 1865 and stayed with Octavius Williams, the Morfa works’ manager at his home, Highfield. When Williams moved to Hendy to build a tinworks there, Tregoning took over the house as well as the management of the works at the age of 23. He had married on taking over Highfield in 1866 and lived there for six years before moving to the magnificent Iscoed mansion in Ferryside. It is interesting to note that the works was originally called the Llanelly Tinworks but when many more works were built in the town, the name was changed to Morfa.

51.66866768

-4.14898314

34

Top

Gelli Onn Sunday School

 

Gelli Onn

Gelli Onn. According to the Victorian historian David Bowen, the Calvinistic Methodist Church in Llanelli was founded when Walter Bowen and Henry Rees left the Baptists in Felinfoel and joined the Methodists at Goppa Fach.  They then met in a dwelling house in Llanelli owned by an old lady who was known only as Martha. This religious assembly became known as Society Martha. Preaching then began in 1786 in a house near West End known as Gelli Onn.

51.6840945

-4.16246638

35

Top

Emmeline Pankhurst

 

Church Street

Emmeline Pankhurst. Electioneering campaigns of a hundred years ago were a very different activity to those of today. Then, with no radio or television to reach their constituents with their policies, the politicians had to address the public personally in parks, theatres, halls, schoolrooms and literally, on their soap boxes.

51.6828

-4.16268679

36

Top

Dr. Percy Wilkins

 

56 James Street,

Hugh Percy Wilkins (1896-1960) Percy Wilkins was an amateur astronomer known worldwide for his work on the Moon. Wilkins was born and educated in Carmarthen. He served for a time in the army during the First World War and subsequently moved to Llanelli where he lived for a period in the 1930s. He was a lodger with a Mr. and Mrs. Philips at 56 James Street, where he assisted Mr. Philips who was a house painter by trade. Percy Wilkins then moved to live at 22 Bradford Street Llanelli, where he had a private observatory, but he then moved to England to continue his life's work - lunar astronomy. He was elected a member and then a Fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society and became Director of the Lunar Section of the Society. He was elected Fellow of the British Interplanetary Society and was honoured by astronomical bodies in France, the United States, Spain and other countries. He produced detailed maps of the Moon and, in 1951, he completed a 300 inch diameter map that was considered by many astronomers as the culmination of the art of selenography prior to the space age. (Selenography is the study of the surface and physical features of the Moon). The Moon maps produced by Wilkins were used by the Americans when they landed men on the Moon at the end of the 1960s. Unfortunately, he did not live to see this, as he died in Bexleyheath in 1960. He also published a number of books about the Moon, including two in collaboration with Sir Patrick Moore. A crater on the Moon is known as the Wilkins Crater. It lies in the Southern Uplands on the near side of the Moon and has a diameter of 57 km.

51.68427740

-4.15226856

37

Top

Gareth Hughes

 

Princess Street

Silent movie star.  Gareth HughesGareth Hughes was born in Llanelli, South Wales. He was a gifted child and developed a love of theatre from an early age. His father was an award-winning speaker at local competitions. At the age of sixteen, he left home for London and a career in theatre. Gareth worked with a number of touring repertoire companies, playing in Shakespeare and popular melodramas. In late 1912, he became involved in a movement to promote Welsh national drama throughout the UK and in London. In early 1914, he sailed to New York with The Welsh Players to perform Change at the Booth Theatre, New York. The play was not as well received as expected but, when his fellow actors returned to the UK in May 1914, Gareth chose to stay in the USA.

51.6792

-4.168204

38

Top

Bwlch y Gwynt Commuinty

 

Bwlch y Gwynt MCP

Machynys and Bwlch-y-Gwynt  were once occupied by terraced houses and tinplate works. It is now an 18-hole championship golf course.

51.65860959

-4.15803561

39

Top

Machynys Community

 

Machynys MCP

Machynys and Bwlch-y-Gwynt  were once occupied by terraced houses and tinplate works. It is now an 18-hole championship golf course.

51.662410

-4.16227090

40

Top

Bryntirion

 

Swansea Road

The Union Workhouse. The workhouse was later converted into Bryntirion Hospital. The little known but important history of the workhouse is that it was the base for the military during their operations against Rebecca in and around the town and district of Llanelli.

51.686195

-4.149643

41

Top

Dorothy Squires

 

4 New Road Dafen

Dorothy (Edna May) Squires was born on 25th March 1915 in a showman's caravan at Bridge Shop Field, in the village of Pontyberem, near Llanelli. By 1928 her father Archibald Squires and his family, had settled down in Dafen, at which time he was described as a steelworks sheet worker and had purchased Aston House, New Road, Dafen, Llanelli.

51.689202

-4.129552

42

Top

Dafen Iron and Tinplate Works

Dyfed Steels Ltd, Dafen Road   

Tinplate Pioneers. Dafen Iron and Tinplate Works.

In September 1845 R.J. Nevill leased a piece of land of 5 acres known as Cae Lan'r Afon to Thomas and James Motley of Leeds and John Winkworth of Bath, for the purpose of erecting a tinplate works. After two years trying to establish the business the Motley brothers put up the works for sale due to trade and financial difficulties

The Dafen Works was not brought into production until the latter months of 1848, after the works was bought by brothers in law Sydney James Phillips and Benjamin Phineas Nunes (pronounced Nunez), metal merchants and selling agents of London, and Robert Smith of Carmarthen. The first works in the Llanelli area to produce tinplate finally closed in 1958.

51.690558

-4.129089

43

Top

Lord Elwyn Jones

 

Old Castle Road

Lord Elwyn Jones (1909-1989) Frederick Elwyn Jones was born in Llanelli, Carmarthenshire; in 1927 he went to the University of Wales, Aberystwyth, and in the following year to Gonville and Caius College, Cambridge, to read history. He was President of the Cambridge Union in 1931. He was called to the Bar at Grays Inn in 1935, and began to practice on the Welsh circuit in 1936. During his time in London he became involved in Labour politics.

51.68015267

-4.16978147

44

Top

Ronnie Cass

 

Station Road

Ronnie Cass, born on 21 April 1923, showed an interest in music from an early age. Educated at the Llanelli Boys' Grammar School he went on to study economics, music and mathematics at the the University College of Wales, Aberystwyth. After serving in the RAF during the second world war he returned to finish his education, subsequently teaching in Llanelli Boys' Grammar School. His heart was set on a life in stage and music and so he left for the bright lights of London. Ronnie Cass was to go on to work with many famous stage, theatre, TV and film stars but perhaps he is most well-known for his work with Sir Cliff Richard, when he wrote the film scores for 'The Young Ones' , 'Summer Holiday' and 'Wonderful life'.

51.678696

-4.162734

45

Top

Eleanor Daniels

 

Thomas Street

Eleanor Daniels 1886-1994, daughter of a Llanelli hay merchant. Her dramatic, prize-winning recitations of her youth led her to success in both dramatic and comic productions on Broadway, touring the length and breadth of the U.S.A. Eleanor Daniels appeared in a number of silent film productions in New York between 1914 and the mid-twenties but is to be remembered for her appearance in If Winter Comes, with Percy Marmont and Bebe Daniels. In 1930 Eleanor was awarded Gorsedd Honours in recognition of her services to Drama. In later life she turned her skills to teaching elocution.

51.684967

-4.160839

46

Top

Tyrfran Tollgate

 

Felinfoel Road 

In 1843 the whole of west Wales was gripped in the civil disturbances known as the Rebecca Riots. Aimed mainly at the unfair tolls that were charged for the use of the turnpike roads, the rioters, disguised with blackened faces and attired in women's clothes, would attack and destroy the offending tollgates and their attached gatehouses. It may be that the last of Rebecca's attacks in Llanelli came on Saturday 30th September 1843, when she removed the Tyrfran Tollgate on the road to Felinfoel and dropped it down the shaft of a nearby coal pit. According to old documents and newspapers the gatehouse and gateposts remained untouched.

51.690127

-4.157114

47

Top

John Graham Chambers

Llanelly House

John Graham Chambers, born at Llanelly House on 12 February 1843, was principally responsible for the modern laws of no fewer than three of the most prominent Olympic sports: athletics, boxing and rowing. In a brief but remarkable career, Chambers also staged the FA Cup final.

51.683355

-4.161619

48

Top

Steadman Davies

Bwlch y Gwynt 

Steadman Davies MBE 1925 - 2010. Teacher of martial arts and yoga. Born Bwlch-y-Gwynt. Dedicated his life to serving the people of Llanelli.

 51.658630

 -4.156863

LCH0187